Dec 8, 2008

Comfort

My co-worker's house burned down today. House fires happen every day and are a very sad and scary thing. Today, this touched me personally. While working at Red Cross several years ago, part of our jobs was to assist people whose homes had been burned. We provided them with a place to stay, food, clothing, and medical needs as necessary. We also helped arrange other assistance for them. When I learned this morning that Joyce's house was burning, I immediately wrote a check. This afternoon, I found myself humming the song "I will lift you up" (I don't remember what the song is called but it's really pretty!), so I decided to search for some scripture to send to Joyce. Here's what I found:

John 6.35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

Psalm 46:1-2 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change, and though the mountains slip into the heart of the sea.

Psalm 31:24 Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who hope in the Lord.


Psalm 55:22 Cast your burden upon the Lord, and He will sustain you; He will never allow the righteous to be shaken.

John 14:1-3 Let not your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father's house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go to prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also.

Psalm 22:19 But you, O LORD, be not far off; O my Strength, come quickly to help me.

Psalm 29:11 The LORD gives strength to his people; the LORD blesses his people with peace.

Philippians 4:7 The peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your heart and mind.

Psalm 56:11 In God I have put my trust, I will not be afraid.

Isaiah 41:10 Do not fear, for I am with you...for I am your God.

Isaiah 40:29 He gives strength to those who are weary.

John 14:27 My peace I give to you.

I'm copying everything here because I think these are great passages to read for comfort and you never know when you'll be in need. Today I pray for Joyce and her family. They lost all of their material belongings. I can't even begin to imagine what that must be like. Thankfully, no one was home during the fire so they are all safe. The cause of the fire has not yet been determined.

No comments:

"Sometimes I'd like to ask God why He allows poverty, famine, and injustice in the world when He could do something about it, but I'm afraid God would ask me the same question."
-Anonymous
You don't change the world by trying to change the world; you change the world by changing yourself.
-Gerry Straub