Jan 1, 2011

Word of the Year - 2011

This is not the word that first came to mind... nor was it the second.  But neither of the words I was thinking seemed to be 'it.'  I wanted my word to be one that wasn't just 'thought up,' but one that had meaning for me in this upcoming year.  In 2009, I chose 'dedication' because I recognized there were areas in my life that needed attention and I was ready to tackle each area head-on.  Last year, I chose 'contentment' and 'simplicity.'  2010 brought lots of change for me and included moving to a new state, combining two homes into one, and ajdusting to a 'new' life - both of these words seemed to sum up the goal of all of that.

Last night, for whatever reason, 'renew' kept coming to mind....which led to me remembering Psalm 51:10, 'Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right Spirit within me.' Immediately I knew my word.  'Create.' It is a perfect word for 2011.  Chandler and I have been discussing traditions we want to start with OP, things that are important to us that we want to pass to him, things we want to do as a family... This year, we will create the cornerstone for our family.

At some point, I will post some of the things we hope to incorporate into this year and things we want to do with OP.  I'm really excited about them and look forward to sharing!

What's your word for 2011?

2 comments:

Jill Foley said...

My word is quiet - quietness, stillness. I need to create space in my life - quiet times so I can refuel and listen (to others, to God) - I also want to create more physical empty space in our home (continue clearing away the unnecessary and the distractions).

The first verse I am going to memorize is Zephaniah 3:17

GinH said...

Good word! D was really excited to come home and find a big bag of things I'd cleared out from your challenge - I'd like to do more of that this year.

Love that verse!! I was flipping through my study Bible last night trying to understand a verse in 1 Corinthians and saw a great verse from Romans that I'm putting on my list for this year. I think I have 4 in mind so far. I'm trying not to jump ahead though so I can focus on each one.

"Sometimes I'd like to ask God why He allows poverty, famine, and injustice in the world when He could do something about it, but I'm afraid God would ask me the same question."
-Anonymous
You don't change the world by trying to change the world; you change the world by changing yourself.
-Gerry Straub