Oct 5, 2010

Bon appetit - dégoûter! Or, ewww!

Not too long ago, I might have mentioned on Facebook that I enjoyed some Wendy's chicken nuggets dipped in a chocolate frosty.  I might have done that.  It should be noted that I really don't eat meat.  I'll eat chicken from time to time, but for the most part (that's for you Irene), I don't eat any meat.  Since Bino has been in the belly, I've been extra aware of what I eat... that's not to say I haven't consumed chocolate pie, but I have eaten some things I wouldn't normally eat - chicken being one of those things. 

Tonight, however, I saw THIS video.  I am a Jamie Oliver fan (did you know he named his new baby boy Buddy Bear Maurice?  Yeah, and you thought Gilgamesh was a bit over the edge...), but don't have any of his cookbooks.  I hope the recipe on the video is NOT in any - ha!  Unlikely.



Do YOU eat the nuggets?  It's safe to say my nugget days are over.  NASTY!  I can't believe I let myself eat that stuff... I thought about not posting because this was a little to might-barf-everywhere, but then decided that it's worth sharing.  Sorry.  But aren't you glad you saw?  Doesn't it make you think?  Even if our favorite Christian chicken, Chick-it, Chick-fil-a didn't use mechanically separated chicken, doesn't it make you wonder?  Zaxby's is another chicken place I will eat from - I might have to question my attempt at eating meat.

AND - get this... so I have this thing where I'll order a kids meal from McDonald's or Burger King, take the meat out, and put french fries in the middle - well Burger King has a veggie burger now (whoo to the hoo! Actually, a few had them back in '99 when I was in undergrad in the mountains, but the only reason was because it was a super crunchy artsy town of just students for the most part) - it's a Boca patty.  I was running around last week and decided I needed some lunch and drove through the BK.  I'd planned on getting a kids meal but then thought about a veggie burger.  The kids meal was $2.71 with tax.  That included a burger, fries, a small drink, and a cheap BPA ridden plastic toy (there's no proof on the BPA it just seemed to fit with the point here...).  The veggie burger - JUST the burger, was $3.79 - before tax.  WHAT is wrong with this?!  You are telling me that MEAT is cheaper - WAY cheaper if you consider all that was included in that $2.71 meal - than vegetables?  NUTS.  There is something seriously wrong with our food. 

We saw Food, Inc., Super Size Me, all of the big foodie documentaries - but it obviously didn't sink in with me.  We try to eat local whenever possible and had I not had some major all-day sickness going on for weeks on end, we would have joined the CSA up here.  Thankfully, they let us just pick up food when we were able without a full share since I was so sick and couldn't stomach much.  We've joined the fall share though so lots of root goodness to come.

I don't have a good way of wrapping this up - so many things wrong - so many questions - Chandler is totally sick of my rant about marketing (bigger, more for your money crap food advertising) so I thought I'd just take it to the mattresses, err, the blog.  No Godfather fans?  Actually, I've never seen the movie - I just like that line in You've Got Mail. 

1 comment:

Jill Foley said...

This is gross....I've never been a big fan of chicken nuggets, but Syd loves them. I let her watch the video, so we'll see if she asks for them again.

We saw Super Size also and I was grossed out. But then I got over it when I was brave enough to eat a BigMac and Whopper again...they just taste so dang good!

"Sometimes I'd like to ask God why He allows poverty, famine, and injustice in the world when He could do something about it, but I'm afraid God would ask me the same question."
-Anonymous
You don't change the world by trying to change the world; you change the world by changing yourself.
-Gerry Straub