Dec 9, 2011

Christmas Kindness: Days 7 & 8

Day 7 has been my favorite day so far!!  We went to Starbucks and I decided on the way there that I'd buy coffee for the person behind me.  For a few minutes it was looking like no one would drive up, but then a couple cars came so game was on.  At the window, I told the person to please charge my card for the order of the person behind me.  She didn't hesitate and ran my card.  I told her if the woman asked to let her know no, she didn't know me and that I said 'Merry Christmas, pass it on.'  The woman behind me had money in her hand on the steering wheel and was ready with it when she pulled up.  I'd slowed down to toss some garbage into the fun trash cans they have with the extra long shoot you can reach from your window so I saw her face... it was priceless!  Loved it.  She was so funny and dumbfounded.  It was great!  

I also had to run to Walmart to pick up a couple things I realized we needed for the dinner that I was hoping to have ready in oh thirty minutes.  Good planning on my part, very good planning... ha!  Anyway, I grabbed my handful of things and headed to a short line, 20-item-or-less register and noticed a young guy behind me  with a box of crackers and a can of cheese.  He stepped away to get a drink from one of those short fridges near the check out lines and I told the cashier to ring his items quick!  It was fun!  I kind of felt bad that I didn't get his drink too, but I didn't want it to be weird or awkward so I just paid for his things and walked out while she waited for him to get his drink.  As I was exiting the store he caught up with me b/c I felt someone lightly brush my shoulder.  'Ma'am, thank you.'  I felt like of the few people I've encountered in this project, it probably meant the most to him.  I know this was two things in one day, but in an effort to truly get into the habit of looking for opportunities to share kindness, I wanted to be in the moment.  
Completely opposite of earlier in the project.  
And in case you are wondering, this doesn't get us 'off the hook' for another day.  :)


Day 8 is a secret.  There may be days sprinkled here and there that I choose not to share for one reason or another.  It's not because I don't want to share with you though!  :) 

Did you do anything this week?  Would love to hear it!  Or do you have any ideas for us?  

1 comment:

Jill Foley said...

Oooh...love Day 7! I did that once at Starbucks. I had decided while waiting in line that I would pay for the person behind me (assuming they only ordered a drink or two). The person in front of me was taking FOREVER and when it was my turn to pick up my order, Starbucks gave it to me for free since I had to wait so long on the customer before me. I still paid for the person behind me and the Starbuck's worker was so surprised that I would do that.

"Sometimes I'd like to ask God why He allows poverty, famine, and injustice in the world when He could do something about it, but I'm afraid God would ask me the same question."
-Anonymous
You don't change the world by trying to change the world; you change the world by changing yourself.
-Gerry Straub