Dec 1, 2011

Christmas Kindness: Day 1

***Updated 12/2/11 to include Daily Bread Blog

I know I wasn't going to post every day, but this is fun!!!

... and apparently it's a popular thing to do.  Not that I thought it was original and we were the first... as I was looking for a good Advent calendar I saw where a lot of people make their own and use random acts of kindness (or I guess not so random) and do something each day.  Neat spin on it too.  Although my friend Jill just posted about how it's nice to not have a tradition and to be spontaneous - I loved her post.  I think that her blog is private  is called Daily Bread, check it out!  Oooh!  I should have Jill guest post on how she (insert pretty much anything here).  She is such an inspiration to me in the way she lives.  Chandler loves her too because she has recently inspired me to get rid of tons of junk that I've held onto for way too long that probably has mold growing on it in the bottom of my closet de-clutter.  :)

Anyway... so we may investigate all of this later, but as baby Rover grows, I get giddy thinking about ways to teach him to give and love and serve others.

Earlier today I realized that I hadn't gone out of my way to do anything today.  I helped someone at work make some baskets for an auction even though I was super busy with my own projects and didn't have the spare time, but I didn't really feel like that counted.  I called Chan to see what he'd done and he said that he (along with two other guys at work) had taken a guy to lunch who doesn't really get out much and it was kind of a big thing.  I asked how much he spent and he said they all went dutch so just getting him out of the office didn't really count so much... I had a back-up act of kindness that falls under the category of wifely duty (snicker) but at dinner we realized we were out of puffs for Oliver and that led to a conversation about how now that he's crawling he's officially old enough for Gerber's crawling snacks (not that we've played by the rules, but...) and longer story a littler shorter, we ended up going to the grocery store and bought lottery tickets for the cashier.  The look on her face was priceless!  I love this!

3 comments:

Jill Foley said...

Fun! I hope you do post every day because I want to read about them.

The post of mine you are referring to is on Daily Bread and that blog isn't private : )

pippasmum said...

That's a great idea! I have been reading your idea here and pondering it... I don't know that I can totally take it on this year - mom is due for surgery in two weeks and the kids have been sick (excuses, I know, but I don't want to start this and get bogged down and not finish). I'd like to set it as a challenge for next year and plan it beforehand so that I didn't have to come up with ideas, just do the actual work.
Keep these posts coming, I really enjoy them!

GinH said...

Ooh you are right! I just linked to your post. I loved what you wrote.

Sarah, your mom is in my prayers. Maybe a 12 days of Christmas project? I'm hopeful we will see opportunities arise and make it a habit for every other day of the year... we'll see how it goes though. I hope everyone at your house is feeling better. Stay warm!

"Sometimes I'd like to ask God why He allows poverty, famine, and injustice in the world when He could do something about it, but I'm afraid God would ask me the same question."
-Anonymous
You don't change the world by trying to change the world; you change the world by changing yourself.
-Gerry Straub