Dec 4, 2011

Christmas Kindness: Day 4

I wish I had a better name for this project.  Something about 'Christmas Kindness' just doesn't flow well... anyway... I had to run out to pick up cheese for breakfast this morning (I was making a recipe from Pintrest this morning before my father-in-law left) and I knew it would be the only time I left the house so I had to find something while I was out.  As I was leaving the store, I saw a barrel for food donations and ran back in the store to grab several boxes of Cheerios in honor of babies like Oliver.

There was also a learning moment today.  I was so focused on finding something and 'doing' that I missed a perfect opportunity to exemplify the purpose of this project.  I didn't realize it until I was getting in the car... I looked and saw the man who was behind me in line and he was carrying a single box of cereal and banana.  Had I paid any attention to others around me in line, I would have seen a great opportunity to buy his groceries.  Shoot!  I was so mad at myself I almost ran back in to just hang out until someone was in line (very few people shop at 7am!) but realized how strange that would be, plus I needed to cook.  I'm glad this happened early on because it has taught me to slow down and be more observant of others around me.  Funny because in my taekwondo days I was so aware of everyone and everything around me always planning what I'd do if someone came at me from any direction - so funny!

4 comments:

Just Another Mummy Blog said...

I actually really like that it's called Christmas Kindness Project. In fact, I've told my Bible study about it and we've decided to do our own Christmas Kindness Project. Just wanted to give you a word of encouragement!

Unknown said...

I Christmas Kindness'ed on your behalf ;-)

I took a cab home on Friday night and chatted up the driver. I found out he is highly educated (2 masters degrees!) but when he came to the us 20 years ago, couldn't get a job in his chosen profession as a teacher and turned to driving the cab. He told me he likes it but works 7 days a week, 12 hour shifts to make ends meet and averages about $100 a day after all his expenses are paid. I realize this would be a lot for some, but not in NYC to support a family of 4. Also not when you literally never have a day off. It wasn't much but I gave him $40 for my $20 fare because I hoped I could bring a bright spot to his night. He called me back over after I got out to tell me it was too much and he couldn't accept it. I refused to take it back so he asked my name and told me he would make sure his kids knew who had provided extra for them that day. I on;y wish I had been able to give more (so much for never having cash on me!)

Nellie Dee said...

I love this! I am going to join in. I'd love to share your link on my blog.

GinH said...

Just Another Mummy - thanks! That's so neat! I'd love to hear what you all do, please share!

Kate - awesome!!! Love this!

Nellie - yes, by all means! Would love to hear your kindness!

"Sometimes I'd like to ask God why He allows poverty, famine, and injustice in the world when He could do something about it, but I'm afraid God would ask me the same question."
-Anonymous
You don't change the world by trying to change the world; you change the world by changing yourself.
-Gerry Straub