Jan 2, 2010

Take Your Best Shot

I finally finished Take Your Best Shot - it was so sweet! It's about a young boy who learns about poverty through child sponsorship (via World Vision). After I got used to his reflections, "back when I was eight...," I was finally able to dive into the story - I will say, I was surprised at how well organized the book is considering the author is so young, but it was written much better than I'd imagined before I started it.

Basically, Austin (the author) watches a video about a little girl living in poverty and his family ends up sponsoring a little boy in Uganda. Austin visits and well, I won't tell you everything in case you want to read it - but he is able to make some amazing dreams happen for children in Africa.

If anyone has kids around middle-school aged, this would be a GREAT book for them to read. I could completely see this book being used for homeschoolers - there are literally dozens of projects that come to mind. Austin is 9-years old when he does a lot of the things in the book and I think it is totally inspiring for other children.

It took me a while to read this since there were other more "adult" type books that I'd been trying to get through, but I'm glad I read this as it was a pretty good book, and an easy read. I really loved that there were questions following the chapters and scripture that corresponded with some of the lessons Austin learned. It was nice and while the questions were simple, they were great because it did make me think more about the topics he presented.

Check it out! If you'd like my copy, let me know! :)

3 comments:

Jill Foley said...

Oooh...gonna put that on my list! Sounds like a good one!

GinSpaghetti said...

Do you want me to send you my copy??

Jill Foley said...

sure!

"Sometimes I'd like to ask God why He allows poverty, famine, and injustice in the world when He could do something about it, but I'm afraid God would ask me the same question."
-Anonymous
You don't change the world by trying to change the world; you change the world by changing yourself.
-Gerry Straub