Jan 20, 2010

It's a God thing...


Last week, I received an ecard from a sweet friend. At the end of the card, there was a verse.


Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies... "
John 11:25


I decided to send this verse to Marty (granddad's wife of 30+ years) as it was so touching and served as a reminder to us all. She didn't have a Bible with her at the time, so I read it aloud over the phone. We ended up reading the entire story in Chapter 11 to better understand why Jesus said that... it was the story of Lazarus, when Jesus came to visit Mary and Martha. We both loved it and she decided that since we were not able to find a poem we had been looking for, she asked what we thought about using this verse and the story at the funeral. Of course, we thought it was perfect.


I got a text not too long after our conversation; she had spoken with the priest. Apparently we could not substitute the scripture for the poem - because the gospel for the service was already John 11:20-27!

Gentle reminders of Who keeps watch over us are always coveted and we couldn't have felt His presence more in that moment.

6 comments:

Mommy S said...

so had your grandfather chosen the very same thing ya'll had chosen for him? if so, that's so awesome.

Mommy S said...

^had chosen

GinSpaghetti said...

I haven't gotten clarification on if it was according to liturgy or if he'd chosen it. I'll post back when I find out! (If I find out!) :)

Emily said...

That is the exact chapter we are studying in BSF this week!

Anonymous said...

GOD IS GOOD!!!!

GinSpaghetti said...

Emily that is so cool! I SO wish there was a BSF near me... doesn't look like there is one in VA either - well, about the same distance as Raleigh is now...

"Sometimes I'd like to ask God why He allows poverty, famine, and injustice in the world when He could do something about it, but I'm afraid God would ask me the same question."
-Anonymous
You don't change the world by trying to change the world; you change the world by changing yourself.
-Gerry Straub