Aug 30, 2009

Disturbed

There was an article in the paper today titled New Death Penalty Law Concerns County Attorney. I clicked to see what was going on and voted in a poll that was included.

The poll asked, "A new law makes prosecution of death penalty cases in North Carolina more difficult. Do you support the death penalty?"

I am deeply disturbed that 57.82% of respondents voted that "we don't use it enough."

Seriously?!


6.80% Never

20.41% In rare cases

14.97% In most cases

57.82% We don't use it enough

Without getting into politics, I realize that there is overcrowding, etc... in US prisons and I realize that the system is flawed - but I find it disturbing that so many people feel that killing someone is a good thing to do. Who do we think we are? Isn't it enough that they will be judged by the most high Judge upon their death as it is? Perhaps not... but did we stop and think that we, too, will be judged??? We who sentence them to that death.

Another article this week from CNN had, what I thought was, a great solution to some of the prison problems. If only...

1 comment:

Opus #6 said...

Human nature is more bloodthirsty than we like to acknowledge. This is why America has laws and courts. To protect against the lynch mob mentality.

"Sometimes I'd like to ask God why He allows poverty, famine, and injustice in the world when He could do something about it, but I'm afraid God would ask me the same question."
-Anonymous
You don't change the world by trying to change the world; you change the world by changing yourself.
-Gerry Straub