Jun 22, 2012

Freezer Cooking

I've had several requests for recipes I use for freezer cooking.  Honestly, before Oliver and Pinterest, I never cooked to freeze - now it's how we eat!  If you follow me on Pinterest, you have all of my recipes - but if you don't, here are some of our favorites.


There are probably others I'm forgetting, I make these most frequently and other times just toss random things in a dish and bake it.  My sister and I lived together for eight years and she'd often pick on me for making up random casseroles.  I like to keep things interesting :)  Granted, they weren't all very good!

The Chicken and Wild Rice I is by far my most favorite.  Another one we like frozen is penne pasta with a jar of marinara sauce and a jar of alfredo sauce mixed and topped with mozzarella cheese.  I think there's a pin for that on my recipe board, but it's so easy there's no point in directing you to it.

For now, since Oliver eats so little, I can get two meals from each recipe.  Sometimes I'll double the recipe to have four meals.  I mainly do that with the Chicken and Wild Rice I b/c it takes a little longer to make and we all love it.  We use the small square baking foils and cover with two layers of heavy duty foil.  I normally just write what's inside along with baking instructions and the date so Chandler can pop them in the oven if I'm not home.

I normally devote an afternoon to cooking and make several things at once.  I find that it's much easier for me that way, and I like knowing I have a few weeks worth of meals.  It's also easy to coordinate ingredients that way too - for instance, today I made four recipes and three called for sauteed onions and most all had pasta.  It's just nice to be able to use and re-use pots and pans without completely overloading the dishwasher.  Every now and then I'll cook during the week, but usually I only make crock pot recipes during the week and pull out freezer meals or something else to fill in the other days.

I'm a huge fan of crock pot/slow cooker meals.  I have a handful of go-to meals for that, again, on Pinterest.

What are your favorite recipes?    

No comments:

"Sometimes I'd like to ask God why He allows poverty, famine, and injustice in the world when He could do something about it, but I'm afraid God would ask me the same question."
-Anonymous
You don't change the world by trying to change the world; you change the world by changing yourself.
-Gerry Straub